Skip to main content

Red Floss, Roses, and a Sleeping Beauty

Happy Tuesday!

I love red floss. My favorite shade is DMC 816. When I design red charts, I try to stick with 816. Everyone has their favorite color, but when you start talking cross stitch floss, things become a bit more technical. For instance; do you like a deeper, more maroon shade of red? Or the rich, Turkey kind of red?

Speaking of red cross stitch charts, here’s my progress on Red Alphabet Sampler:

Since my last WIP update, I’ve finished the second row, made the second squiggly line between the second and third rows, and started stitching the third row. Very pleased with how that flower motif turned out! While I didn’t have any particular flower in mind when I was designing it, that flower reminds me of a rose. The letter G has a nice sprinkling of motifs, but when I got to the letter H, I decided to balance out the sampler by making H a little less busy. The first motif of the second row is a heart (H for heart!).

Here's my progress pictures throughout the week:



If you like this chart, and want to stitch it too, I’m currently giving away free PDF charts of it. Click the link here, but remember that they’re only available while supplies last!

I really love the Sleeping Beauty fairytale. That rose motif I mentioned earlier reminded me of the beautiful Ballerina, Aurelie Dupont, dancing in the Rose Adagio from The Sleeping Beauty ballet.


My favorite Sleeping Beauty poem is this one written by Tennyson. Here’s the first stanza:

YEAR after year unto her feet,  She lying on her couch alone,

Across the purple coverlet,  The maiden’s jet-black hair has grown;

On either side her trancèd form     

Forth streaming from a braid of pearl;

The slumberous light is rich and warm,  

And moves not on the rounded curl.

Click the link to read the whole thing.

Happy stitching!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Update: Halloween Moon Edition

Halloween Stitching Time!  For the most part, Cross Stitch people fall into two camps: seasonal stitchers, and non-seasonal stitchers. After pondering this question for a bit, I've decided that I'm firmly in the seasonal stitcher camp.  Bearing that in mind, you can imagine how excited I am about my Halloween wip 👻🎃 It's been awhile since you've seen this one, so allow me to re-introduce you to Trick or Treat Moon   Stunning. Found it in this magazine, Cross Stitch & Needlework, October 1996: This issue has an absolute ton of amazing Halloween and Fall charts. If Halloween stitching is something you like, then this magazine is a must have.  I think I started this one two years ago. Maybe last year... Anyway, here's my progress so far: That checkerboard border is so much fun. It stitches up really fast. Zooming in on that purple blob on the right: Yes, that is a cat. It may not look like much now, but just you wai...

Quilt Block Sampler

 It's been a while since I posted a free cross stitch chart, so here you go: Isn't it pretty? I designed this one a while ago, but never got around to posting it. I've noticed a lot of quilters have been getting in to cross stitch lately. Welcome to the cross stitch world! Maybe this chart will be stitched by quilters who like cross stitch, and cross stitchers who like quilting.  Some details about this chart: stitch count is 70w x 70h If you stitch it on 18 count aida, the dimensions will be approximately 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) wide by 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) high.  It uses 3 colors, all in DMC: Blanc, 996, 801 Link to the free PDF is here  Leave a comment below with your progress pics and any color changes you make!  Happy Stitching!

Secret Doors, a New Chart, and a Tree

  Photo by  Stefan Steinbauer  on  Unsplash Do you know what I've always wanted? A secret door. And not just any secret door, but a secret door that looks like a bookcase. How cool would it be to wander through your house, and make a detour to your secret reading nook, that's nestled behind your secret door? I've heard that they sell them at places like Lowe's, so who knows, maybe one day I'll get one. It would be the perfect addition to the castle! While I don't have a secret door (sigh!) I do have a new listing in my Etsy shop. Behold! Here's a smaller sized, Irish inspired cross stitch monogram sampler. Motifs included throughout the design are classic Irish themes such as a shamrock, a harp, flowers associated with St. Brigid, Celtic knots, and Celtic bands. Perfect as desk or home decor to display your Irish pride. Great present for Irish friends or loved ones. In the pictured model above, the initials "A.Q." have been stitched. In the chart t...