Skip to main content

A Cardinal, a Garden, and a Border

 

wall covered by green grass

Photo by Ash Ashley on Unsplash

Summer is in full swing here at the Castle. Sunny days, hot weather, and stitching. The Okra, Bell Peppers, and Italian Eggplant are relishing this heat. The volunteer Tomatoes are also surprisingly alive considering that the temps top 100 degrees here most days. While I was watering the garden, a Cardinal stopped by to see what I was up to. It stared at the water coming out of the hose, and if I could read minds (or speak Cardinal) I’d bet it was saying, “Interesting phenomena. A localized storm!” Or maybe it was just thirsty :) We have a Hummingbird feeder full of sugar water, but I’ll set out a dish of water for the other birds too.

As for me, my beverage of choice lately is unsweetened seltzer water. I find that it’s so much more refreshing than soda, and much less sweet, which I prefer. Super sweet drinks and food just don’t catch my fancy. If I had to list my favorites so far, in no particular order they would be:

  • Lemon Lime (a classic)

  • Passion Fruit (sooo refreshing and tropical)

  • Coconut (I love coconut flavored everything)

The latest flavor I’ve tried is Black Cherry. Outstanding! It’s also a very different taste from the other flavors that I listed, so it’s a nice change of pace once you’ve had a few days of the other more tropical flavors.

Now don’t worry- this hasn’t changed into a food blog! I have some stitching to share too.

After finally finishing that shield, I decided to move on to the border on the left-hand side. For a quick reminder of where I was at my last WIP update, here’s a link to my last post:

French Toast, Water Water Everywhere, and a Shield

·
Jun 7
French Toast, Water Water Everywhere, and a Shield

Happy Wednesday! It's been a rainy week here at the Castle. There's been so stormy weather, it feels like at any moment the Castle will float away, or look like those underwater castles that people have in their fish tanks. But let's hope it doesn't get to that point!

And here’s where I got to:

Even though I haven’t been stitching every day, I’m still pleased with how much progress I’ve made! Filling in those solid blocks of cross stitch on the shield took a very long time. Now that I’ve finished doing that, I think I’ll be making progress at a bit of a faster rate. It’s not that I mind going slow- the process is the point for me-it’s just that I got used to making a bunch of finishes by finishing off those tiny motifs that were on the other bands. I’ve gotten spoiled! But all that being said, I’m very happy with how the shield turned out. That border is so much fun to stitch and lends itself to the color change effect of the variegated floss. The lion looks a bit tricky, so to make sure I don’t make a mistake, I’ll finish the border around him first, so that I have a better reference to work off of.

Since last month, there’s been a new addition to the shop, so head over there if you want to check it out. Link to my Etsy shop is here.

Happy stitching!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Block Sampler

 It's been a while since I posted a free cross stitch chart, so here you go: Isn't it pretty? I designed this one a while ago, but never got around to posting it. I've noticed a lot of quilters have been getting in to cross stitch lately. Welcome to the cross stitch world! Maybe this chart will be stitched by quilters who like cross stitch, and cross stitchers who like quilting.  Some details about this chart: stitch count is 70w x 70h If you stitch it on 18 count aida, the dimensions will be approximately 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) wide by 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) high.  It uses 3 colors, all in DMC: Blanc, 996, 801 Link to the free PDF is here  Leave a comment below with your progress pics and any color changes you make!  Happy Stitching!

Friday Update: Halloween Moon Edition

Halloween Stitching Time!  For the most part, Cross Stitch people fall into two camps: seasonal stitchers, and non-seasonal stitchers. After pondering this question for a bit, I've decided that I'm firmly in the seasonal stitcher camp.  Bearing that in mind, you can imagine how excited I am about my Halloween wip 👻🎃 It's been awhile since you've seen this one, so allow me to re-introduce you to Trick or Treat Moon   Stunning. Found it in this magazine, Cross Stitch & Needlework, October 1996: This issue has an absolute ton of amazing Halloween and Fall charts. If Halloween stitching is something you like, then this magazine is a must have.  I think I started this one two years ago. Maybe last year... Anyway, here's my progress so far: That checkerboard border is so much fun. It stitches up really fast. Zooming in on that purple blob on the right: Yes, that is a cat. It may not look like much now, but just you wai...

Fashionably Late Wishes, Tons of Flowers, and Ravioli

Happy Tuesday! Although it’s a bit late, happy World Cross Stitch Day! Mind you, I didn’t know that World Cross Stitch Day even existed, but now that I do, I’m prepared for next year. Maybe I’ll make a chart in commemoration of the day… maybe. But that’s all the way in the future, and a whole year from now. Stay tuned! Click here to continue reading