Skip to main content

Nikolai Returns, a Missing Motif, and an Aristocratic Addition

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

Happy New Year! I hope it’s been a good year for you so far. The beginning of the year here at the Castle has been windy and very cold. I’m only just getting used to knowing what day it is, because the Twelve Days of Christmas passed by in a blur of cozy reading spots, Christmas cake, cookies, and many hot drinks.


We’re getting hit by a winter storm, but it’s still up in the air (haha) as to whether or not it will snow. In any case, we’ve battened down the hatches here at the Castle making everything snug and warm.


But now it’s back to work! And boy oh boy do I have a lot of projects planned for this year.

First on the list is Medieval Menagerie:


Medieval Menagerie by Fox and Rabbit Designs

Behold! Isn’t it stunning? The designers did a spectacular job with this chart. The DMC variegated floss is a treat to stitch with. Do you see those backstitch motifs by their hoof and paw? That was incredibly fun to stitch. It reminds me of blackwork, which now I’ll have to go and research. I took advantage of it being out of the Q-Snap to give you a big picture view of my progress so far.


But do you see what’s missing? Yep! There’s a missing motif by the lion’s head! Seriously, I didn’t even notice that I hadn’t stitched it until I added the picture to this post. Perhaps I forgot it in my excitement to start stitching on Nikolai again. So, I was going to say, “I got this band finished!” but instead I’ll just be happy with my progress and fight the impulse to go back, put this in a Q-Snap, and finish the band. That is a finish for another day!


As for what I’m stitching now, it’s Nikolai! His proper name is “Russian Hunting” by Riolis. If you want to see what he looks like, here’s my last WIP update picture of him from last year. In this post you can also see how far I’ve come since last year on Medieval Menagerie.


Link to the blog post is here.


I think my cat wants to have his say in this blog post. I left the room to take a picture of Medieval Menagerie, and he trotted across my keyboard. So, here’s Vicomte Philippe’s contribution to the blog, “ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww…” those W’s go on for a while, so I’m going to do some slight editing and remove most of them. You get the gist of what he’s saying. And very poetical too!


This New Year is going to be great!

Happy stitching!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fourth of July Freebie

Happy Independence Day! Hope everyone had a lovely Fourth of July! Posting this a few days late, but if you still have that patriotic Independence Day spirit, and a need to stitch something along those lines, click the link and stitch away. Or add it to your stash for next year :) The link to the chart is here Happy Stitching! Marisol

The Sun, Palace Dwellers, and Books

You know how it is. When you look at Etsy, browse a bit, find an amazing chart... BAM! Suddenly, your project pile (that you just promised to stop growing) is in sudden need of a new chart. Here's what I saw. Hobbiton looks amazing, but I want Rohan too. Okay, so this one needs to go on my rotation as well... I might need more project bags and Q Snaps.  Exciting developments this week on the Mystery band sampler by Linen & Threads! I'll let the picture speak for itself: The sun has arrived, and the first dragon has too! Now I can start brainstorming a name for it. Leave a comment below if you have any ideas.  You know how when you go on city tours, the tour guide lifts her umbrella and says, "Follow the umbrella! This way please!" Well, follow the umbrella to the next WIP, Paris Market: Isn't the 10 x 10 method remarkable? You can cover a TON of ground in no time flat. This part of the chart is almost exclusively half stitches as well, so that has something to

Ginger Ale, Halloween Treats, and a Dog

Happy Tuesday! We need to have a serious discussion about how underrated Ginger Ale is. I think that most people will only reach for the bubbly beverage when they feel ill, but I like the taste all the time. It could be because I like the taste of ginger in general, especially Gin Gins (a delicious ginger candy with amazing illustrations of Ginger People on the bag;  the link is HERE for those of you who are interested ). The flavor isn’t the only appealing thing. Think about it; the bubbles, the crisp, clean flavor that you don’t get after drinking a Coke, and that champagne-like color all combine to make it one of my favorite drinks. Full disclosure- I’m sipping a can of one right now as I write this post. Making some steady progress on Trick-Or-Treat Moon:  Filling in the pale yellow on the face was super quick. I think I was off one somewhere on the word “Treat” at the top, but it won’t make a big difference, so I won’t worry about ripping it out. It’s such a treat (haha, there’s a