Skip to main content

Word Puzzles, Rice, and Backstitch

 

Photo by Cederic Vandenberghe on Unsplash


Dear Reader,
I’m currently obsessed with Wordle. Yes, I’m a few years late to the party, but now that I’ve started playing, I can’t stop! It’s a pleasant addition to my morning breakfast routine, and even when I’m not playing the game, if I hear a great word, I’ve developed the habit of counting the letters and checking how many vowels it has. My advice is: don’t start the puzzle until you’ve had some coffee first, because some of those puzzles are devilishly hard. Some people have told me that their strategy is to start with the same word every time. Imagine how excited they’ll be when their starter word is eventually the actual answer of the day. Do you  Wordle too? (Yes, I’ve made that into a verb.)
Moving on to the WIP update
October is still young, and I’m advancing up the backstitch mountain. You can’t really see it, but I’ve done the backstitch on some of the candies in the upper-right-hand corner, the top of the frame, and some of the backstitch on the edge of the moon.
20251013_133651.jpg
20251013_133713.jpg
That lollipop wrapper looks much more defined with the backstitch! It brings out the stars on the wrapper. On closer inspection of the floss numbers, I discovered that I’m actually using the wrong shade of brown for the outline of the moon, and I think for some of the candy. But I’m not going to go back and rip it out. Nope, not doing it. Instead, I’ll just call this a happy artistic accident and claim it as my own. Do you know what I’m really looking forward to in the coming days? Backstitching the cat! The letters will be fun as well.
Odds & Ends
  1. That’s a tremendous pot of rice. The picture is incredible too. It makes me happy that they used giant spoons to stir it! Hilda Baci: Pot breaks as Nigerian chef attempts to cook largest jollof rice dish
  2. Seen on Pinterest: I would love to have this room in the Castle!
  3. PSA: If your spooky season reading pile won’t be done before Halloween, November is also a great time for a Gothic novel or two!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Update: Halloween Moon Edition

Halloween Stitching Time!  For the most part, Cross Stitch people fall into two camps: seasonal stitchers, and non-seasonal stitchers. After pondering this question for a bit, I've decided that I'm firmly in the seasonal stitcher camp.  Bearing that in mind, you can imagine how excited I am about my Halloween wip 👻🎃 It's been awhile since you've seen this one, so allow me to re-introduce you to Trick or Treat Moon   Stunning. Found it in this magazine, Cross Stitch & Needlework, October 1996: This issue has an absolute ton of amazing Halloween and Fall charts. If Halloween stitching is something you like, then this magazine is a must have.  I think I started this one two years ago. Maybe last year... Anyway, here's my progress so far: That checkerboard border is so much fun. It stitches up really fast. Zooming in on that purple blob on the right: Yes, that is a cat. It may not look like much now, but just you wai...

Quilt Block Sampler

 It's been a while since I posted a free cross stitch chart, so here you go: Isn't it pretty? I designed this one a while ago, but never got around to posting it. I've noticed a lot of quilters have been getting in to cross stitch lately. Welcome to the cross stitch world! Maybe this chart will be stitched by quilters who like cross stitch, and cross stitchers who like quilting.  Some details about this chart: stitch count is 70w x 70h If you stitch it on 18 count aida, the dimensions will be approximately 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) wide by 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) high.  It uses 3 colors, all in DMC: Blanc, 996, 801 Link to the free PDF is here  Leave a comment below with your progress pics and any color changes you make!  Happy Stitching!

Secret Doors, a New Chart, and a Tree

  Photo by  Stefan Steinbauer  on  Unsplash Do you know what I've always wanted? A secret door. And not just any secret door, but a secret door that looks like a bookcase. How cool would it be to wander through your house, and make a detour to your secret reading nook, that's nestled behind your secret door? I've heard that they sell them at places like Lowe's, so who knows, maybe one day I'll get one. It would be the perfect addition to the castle! While I don't have a secret door (sigh!) I do have a new listing in my Etsy shop. Behold! Here's a smaller sized, Irish inspired cross stitch monogram sampler. Motifs included throughout the design are classic Irish themes such as a shamrock, a harp, flowers associated with St. Brigid, Celtic knots, and Celtic bands. Perfect as desk or home decor to display your Irish pride. Great present for Irish friends or loved ones. In the pictured model above, the initials "A.Q." have been stitched. In the chart t...