Skip to main content

New Start!

Another New Start

 Every time I watch Flosstube I sit there saying," Oh look at that!!" or, " Let's see, how many wip's do I have? Sure, I have room for another start!" or even more often I don't say anything and just run to my stash trying to figure out if I have all the floss for the latest project that has caught my eye. Seriously, sometimes I wonder if I need help.

 This time, I was watching the always lovely Lorrie on her Flosstube channel, Mischievous Stitches showing us a book of designs by a designer named Jeannette Crew. So my mother purchased a book of her designs:


Lot's of great designs in here!
 It was July and how could I resist a patriotic start? I decided to stitch the Contemporary flag, the design on the bottom right of the picture above. Here's the floss:

Gorgeous!
 So in the picture of the contemporary flag, the design really looks like it has a lot of shading and depth. Great, I thought. But then when I see the called for colors, I think,"huh?" One of the colors is DMC 666- a very bright Christmas red and then some maroon shades. They don't exactly look great together. But since I like to stick to the chart I go with it and use the called for colors. After stitching a chunk of it, I just know that those colors do NOT look like they go well together. Sighing, I go and get something to drink. And then I see it. From about a yard away from my cross stitch stand I was blown away by the colors! The reds look pretty good together and the movement in the chart is just really nice looking. I've heard some people on Flosstube who work on HAED's say the same thing. Go away, come back, see your wip and wow! That confetti really paid off!

 So here is my progress:

Very pleased
 Unfortunately I forgot what fabric I am using! Sorry about that! If I can remember, I will tell you all. I know that it is a 28 count evenweave.

 Happy Stitching!

 Marisol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Update: Halloween Moon Edition

Halloween Stitching Time!  For the most part, Cross Stitch people fall into two camps: seasonal stitchers, and non-seasonal stitchers. After pondering this question for a bit, I've decided that I'm firmly in the seasonal stitcher camp.  Bearing that in mind, you can imagine how excited I am about my Halloween wip 👻🎃 It's been awhile since you've seen this one, so allow me to re-introduce you to Trick or Treat Moon   Stunning. Found it in this magazine, Cross Stitch & Needlework, October 1996: This issue has an absolute ton of amazing Halloween and Fall charts. If Halloween stitching is something you like, then this magazine is a must have.  I think I started this one two years ago. Maybe last year... Anyway, here's my progress so far: That checkerboard border is so much fun. It stitches up really fast. Zooming in on that purple blob on the right: Yes, that is a cat. It may not look like much now, but just you wai...

Quilt Block Sampler

 It's been a while since I posted a free cross stitch chart, so here you go: Isn't it pretty? I designed this one a while ago, but never got around to posting it. I've noticed a lot of quilters have been getting in to cross stitch lately. Welcome to the cross stitch world! Maybe this chart will be stitched by quilters who like cross stitch, and cross stitchers who like quilting.  Some details about this chart: stitch count is 70w x 70h If you stitch it on 18 count aida, the dimensions will be approximately 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) wide by 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) high.  It uses 3 colors, all in DMC: Blanc, 996, 801 Link to the free PDF is here  Leave a comment below with your progress pics and any color changes you make!  Happy Stitching!

Secret Doors, a New Chart, and a Tree

  Photo by  Stefan Steinbauer  on  Unsplash Do you know what I've always wanted? A secret door. And not just any secret door, but a secret door that looks like a bookcase. How cool would it be to wander through your house, and make a detour to your secret reading nook, that's nestled behind your secret door? I've heard that they sell them at places like Lowe's, so who knows, maybe one day I'll get one. It would be the perfect addition to the castle! While I don't have a secret door (sigh!) I do have a new listing in my Etsy shop. Behold! Here's a smaller sized, Irish inspired cross stitch monogram sampler. Motifs included throughout the design are classic Irish themes such as a shamrock, a harp, flowers associated with St. Brigid, Celtic knots, and Celtic bands. Perfect as desk or home decor to display your Irish pride. Great present for Irish friends or loved ones. In the pictured model above, the initials "A.Q." have been stitched. In the chart t...