Skip to main content

Geraniums and Emotional Toast

 May flowers are in full bloom at my cottage. The red and pink roses are saying, "Hello world!" while the geraniums are sporting their best, bright red blooms. I would enclose a picture here, but as I write, the plump, menacing storm clouds are looming overhead. Hopefully I can add a picture of the flowers to next week's post. In the meantime, here’s a great article with tips on growing geraniums.

It's been a very busy week. Things always seem to get much busier in the Spring. There's lots to do in the garden, Easter to prepare for, the cottage to dust, air and re-decorate. But thankfully, I've had time to stitch! Let's see my progress from the past week:

I'm pleased as punch with those half-stitches! It was nice working in various shades of cream and grey, but I'm not going to lie; the salmon pink and those splashes of green were a welcome change.

Moving on the the Mystery SAL:

The dragon is destined to have a bright red tail and dark wings. Love it! I couldn't possibly name it until I see it's face; we have to get to know each other, sip some coffee and have a chat.

Do you like your toast cool, or piping hot from the toaster? If you like cool toast, maybe you should invest in a toast rack. What's that? Let this beautifully written article explain:

"the toast rack, a normally silver or silver-plated item that consists of vertical partitions, usually five or seven, connected to a flat base with four to six feet and a handle, appear in 18th and 19th century cookbooks."

How about American toast in particular? It continues:

"American toast lacks reserve and dignity: it is too sweaty and indiscrete and emotional."

So grab a slice of emotional toast and read the whole article here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Update: Halloween Moon Edition

Halloween Stitching Time!  For the most part, Cross Stitch people fall into two camps: seasonal stitchers, and non-seasonal stitchers. After pondering this question for a bit, I've decided that I'm firmly in the seasonal stitcher camp.  Bearing that in mind, you can imagine how excited I am about my Halloween wip 👻🎃 It's been awhile since you've seen this one, so allow me to re-introduce you to Trick or Treat Moon   Stunning. Found it in this magazine, Cross Stitch & Needlework, October 1996: This issue has an absolute ton of amazing Halloween and Fall charts. If Halloween stitching is something you like, then this magazine is a must have.  I think I started this one two years ago. Maybe last year... Anyway, here's my progress so far: That checkerboard border is so much fun. It stitches up really fast. Zooming in on that purple blob on the right: Yes, that is a cat. It may not look like much now, but just you wai...

Quilt Block Sampler

 It's been a while since I posted a free cross stitch chart, so here you go: Isn't it pretty? I designed this one a while ago, but never got around to posting it. I've noticed a lot of quilters have been getting in to cross stitch lately. Welcome to the cross stitch world! Maybe this chart will be stitched by quilters who like cross stitch, and cross stitchers who like quilting.  Some details about this chart: stitch count is 70w x 70h If you stitch it on 18 count aida, the dimensions will be approximately 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) wide by 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) high.  It uses 3 colors, all in DMC: Blanc, 996, 801 Link to the free PDF is here  Leave a comment below with your progress pics and any color changes you make!  Happy Stitching!

Secret Doors, a New Chart, and a Tree

  Photo by  Stefan Steinbauer  on  Unsplash Do you know what I've always wanted? A secret door. And not just any secret door, but a secret door that looks like a bookcase. How cool would it be to wander through your house, and make a detour to your secret reading nook, that's nestled behind your secret door? I've heard that they sell them at places like Lowe's, so who knows, maybe one day I'll get one. It would be the perfect addition to the castle! While I don't have a secret door (sigh!) I do have a new listing in my Etsy shop. Behold! Here's a smaller sized, Irish inspired cross stitch monogram sampler. Motifs included throughout the design are classic Irish themes such as a shamrock, a harp, flowers associated with St. Brigid, Celtic knots, and Celtic bands. Perfect as desk or home decor to display your Irish pride. Great present for Irish friends or loved ones. In the pictured model above, the initials "A.Q." have been stitched. In the chart t...