Skip to main content

The Orient Express, a Grime Guard, and a Motif Crossroads

 

Photo by Jezz Timms on Unsplash

The Orient Express


Long-time friends of the blog will know that I’m a seasonal stitcher, but did you know that I’m a seasonal reader as well? When Halloween and November roll around, I need to be reading something spooky and Gothic. Last summer, it felt appropriate to be adventuring in forests, so I had a fantasy theme for the summer. At the beginning of this month, I was in a particularly Winter-ish sort of mood and needed to read something frosty, and preferably with a lot of snow. I had never read The Murder on the Orient Express, so I checked it out from the library. Of course, I had seen the adaptation with David Suchet, so I knew the plot, but it’s such a good book that my knowing whodunnit didn’t spoil it in the least! This is one of Agatha Christie's best books, in my opinion. I also really enjoyed the time it was set in, as well as the atmosphere of being on the train (I love trains). It's such a popular and well-known railway, so there's a ton of videos related to it. Half the fun of this particular book is searching for videos about the history of the train! This video by Tasting History was very fun to watch:



David Suchet also did a wonderful documentary about the train, here's the link to IMDB.

WIP Updates

Nikolai (Russian Hunting by Riolis)

Here's what it looked like before: 


And here's what it looks like now! 


Drum roll, please! Maybe even some trumpets tooting a celebratory sound? Yes, I finished a column! The lower half of the column had a lot of solid blocks of green and purple. I’ve also started a new column and made it back to the sky, but that won’t last for long as the tree is getting taller, and there’s already some foliage starting in my next 10 x 10 square. There are two more columns to go before I reach the edge of the design and get a page finish! Instead of moving the Q.Snap, I’ll just have to move the Grime Guard, as there’s not enough fabric left to move. I’ve decided that when I do start a new page, I’ll move to the right, so I can start working my way across the top of the design.

The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera Cross Stitch Pattern by EmnEllie


I’ve made some decent progress on this one!

The first frame is finished, and I’m pleased with how the letters turned out. I came to the oh-so-common crossroads of “which motif should I stitch next?” with the choice of the chandelier or the mask. I chose the mask, and that’s what I’m working on right now. It’s not in this picture yet, but I’ve only got a few rows in, so you’ll see it next time. I’ve grown really fond of stitching on black fabric! It contrasts so well with the floss, especially this white floss.

Odds & Ends
  1. Keep an eye out in my Etsy shop šŸ‘€I’m going to be designing more cross stitch bookmarks soon! If you want to see one I’ve already designed, here’s the link.
  2. Why don't we do this though? Link to Instagram 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Block Sampler

 It's been a while since I posted a free cross stitch chart, so here you go: Isn't it pretty? I designed this one a while ago, but never got around to posting it. I've noticed a lot of quilters have been getting in to cross stitch lately. Welcome to the cross stitch world! Maybe this chart will be stitched by quilters who like cross stitch, and cross stitchers who like quilting.  Some details about this chart: stitch count is 70w x 70h If you stitch it on 18 count aida, the dimensions will be approximately 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) wide by 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) high.  It uses 3 colors, all in DMC: Blanc, 996, 801 Link to the free PDF is here  Leave a comment below with your progress pics and any color changes you make!  Happy Stitching!

Friday Update: Halloween Moon Edition

Halloween Stitching Time!  For the most part, Cross Stitch people fall into two camps: seasonal stitchers, and non-seasonal stitchers. After pondering this question for a bit, I've decided that I'm firmly in the seasonal stitcher camp.  Bearing that in mind, you can imagine how excited I am about my Halloween wip šŸ‘»šŸŽƒ It's been awhile since you've seen this one, so allow me to re-introduce you to Trick or Treat Moon   Stunning. Found it in this magazine, Cross Stitch & Needlework, October 1996: This issue has an absolute ton of amazing Halloween and Fall charts. If Halloween stitching is something you like, then this magazine is a must have.  I think I started this one two years ago. Maybe last year... Anyway, here's my progress so far: That checkerboard border is so much fun. It stitches up really fast. Zooming in on that purple blob on the right: Yes, that is a cat. It may not look like much now, but just you wai...

Fashionably Late Wishes, Tons of Flowers, and Ravioli

Happy Tuesday! Although it’s a bit late, happy World Cross Stitch Day! Mind you, I didn’t know that World Cross Stitch Day even existed, but now that I do, I’m prepared for next year. Maybe I’ll make a chart in commemoration of the day… maybe. But that’s all the way in the future, and a whole year from now. Stay tuned! Click here to continue reading