Skip to main content

A Christmas Movie, Dark Floss, and a Tortie Cat

Happy Wednesday



Last week I decided to try out a new-to-me Christmas movie, called The Shop Around the Corner. 
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

It was made in 1940, and stars James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan. It's based on a play by a Hungarian playwright, and the story is set in Hungary. I loved it! It was funny, sweet, with great acting. All of the ingredients for a perfect Christmas Rom-Com! Here's a plot description from IMDB:

Two employees at a gift shop can barely stand each other, without realizing that they are falling in love through the post as each other's anonymous pen pal.

Oh, my Dear Friend, my heart was trembling as I walked into the post office, and there you were, lying in Box 237. I took you out of your envelope and read you, read you right there. - Klara Novak, The Shop Around the Corner
What's not to like?!?

Cross Stitch Corner

It turns out that when you listen to podcasts and cross stitch, you get a lot of cross stitching done! Here's my progress on Nikolai: 
Russian Hunting by Riolis

I started a new column, and finished the horse's nose. Nikolai's arm is looking good too. I've hit a few 10 x 10 squares of dark floss, but once I finish this column I can move back into the sky that has all those pretty shades of pink and pale blue.

After taking a look in my shop, I decided that it needed another birth sampler. Here's what the new design looks like so far:
Fairy Tale Birth Sampler by EmnEllie

Coming along nicely! I'm debating whether or not I should add a third empty box at the bottom. Stay tuned.

Odds & Ends


Want to stitch on something while you watch The Shop Around the Corner? Here's a freebie I designed:
Movie Night by EmnEllie


You may not know it, but you really need to watch this video of a cat running through the snow. Here's the link to the video.

Happy stitching!

Want to get my posts delivered to your email? Signup to my free newsletter here  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Block Sampler

 It's been a while since I posted a free cross stitch chart, so here you go: Isn't it pretty? I designed this one a while ago, but never got around to posting it. I've noticed a lot of quilters have been getting in to cross stitch lately. Welcome to the cross stitch world! Maybe this chart will be stitched by quilters who like cross stitch, and cross stitchers who like quilting.  Some details about this chart: stitch count is 70w x 70h If you stitch it on 18 count aida, the dimensions will be approximately 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) wide by 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) high.  It uses 3 colors, all in DMC: Blanc, 996, 801 Link to the free PDF is here  Leave a comment below with your progress pics and any color changes you make!  Happy Stitching!

Friday Update: Halloween Moon Edition

Halloween Stitching Time!  For the most part, Cross Stitch people fall into two camps: seasonal stitchers, and non-seasonal stitchers. After pondering this question for a bit, I've decided that I'm firmly in the seasonal stitcher camp.  Bearing that in mind, you can imagine how excited I am about my Halloween wip 👻🎃 It's been awhile since you've seen this one, so allow me to re-introduce you to Trick or Treat Moon   Stunning. Found it in this magazine, Cross Stitch & Needlework, October 1996: This issue has an absolute ton of amazing Halloween and Fall charts. If Halloween stitching is something you like, then this magazine is a must have.  I think I started this one two years ago. Maybe last year... Anyway, here's my progress so far: That checkerboard border is so much fun. It stitches up really fast. Zooming in on that purple blob on the right: Yes, that is a cat. It may not look like much now, but just you wai...

Fashionably Late Wishes, Tons of Flowers, and Ravioli

Happy Tuesday! Although it’s a bit late, happy World Cross Stitch Day! Mind you, I didn’t know that World Cross Stitch Day even existed, but now that I do, I’m prepared for next year. Maybe I’ll make a chart in commemoration of the day… maybe. But that’s all the way in the future, and a whole year from now. Stay tuned! Click here to continue reading