Skip to main content

Wrapping Paper, Nutcrackers, and Fairy Tales

Happy Tuesday!


Isn't wrapping presents fun? Every year I pretend to be a Christmas elf, gather up my scotch tape, paper, and gifts, and wrap wrap wrap. Most of the time I use colorful wrapping paper, with snowmen, Santa, and other Christmas themes printed on it. This year, I've used a lot of paper that is red and white like a candy cane. Next year, I'm thinking of using Kraft paper instead. Like this: 

Photo by Nathan Lemon on Unsplash


I'll add labels, and use bright ribbons, or maybe bright twine.

What wrapping paper do you like?

Cross Stitch Corner


I'm happy to report that I've gotten out of those couple of dark squares, and made it back to the sky: 


Russian Hunting by Riolis



Parking my floss has enabled me to make a bunch of progress on this WIP! Going ahead, I don't think that I'll see as much orange as when I had Nikolai's coat to work on, but I am looking forward to stitching on another horse head.

Last week I shared one of my new designs that was still a work in progress. This week I'm pleased as punch to introduce you to Fairy Tale Birth Sampler: 

Fairy Tale Birth Sampler by EmnEllie



I tried to make it look like it was straight out of a storybook. There's your castle, there's your classic beginning to a story. There's plenty of room to add birth info. I hope that whoever has this hanging on their bedroom / nursery wall, enjoys looking at it as much as the stitcher who stitches it. If you'd like to order a PDF chart, the link is here.

I've decided to stitch something seasonal over the 12 days of Christmas. Because it isn't just Christmas Day, and then wait for next year here at the Castle! I stay jolly and merry for all 12 days! Here's a beautiful freebie cross stitch chart from DMC:  


Isn't he stunning?!? I absolutely adore Nutcrackers. Naturally, I will post my WIP updates. My goal is to finish him before Epiphany (January 6th).

Odds & Ends


So a bunch of you have probably read this festive short story by the great O. Henry, but I thought I'd put the link here anyway, because I don't think you can ever read it too many times The Gift of the Magi | by O. Henry

Christmas with Queen Victoria, anyone?


Great music, great costumes, great dancers. Guess what I'll be watching soon? Maybe my Nutcracker WIP will be watching with me! Here's a beautiful version of the pas de deux from the Nutcracker, by the Royal Opera House:


If you haven't seen it already, The Copper Fox is having her Christmas Open House on her blog! The link to her blog is here.

Happy stitching!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Block Sampler

 It's been a while since I posted a free cross stitch chart, so here you go: Isn't it pretty? I designed this one a while ago, but never got around to posting it. I've noticed a lot of quilters have been getting in to cross stitch lately. Welcome to the cross stitch world! Maybe this chart will be stitched by quilters who like cross stitch, and cross stitchers who like quilting.  Some details about this chart: stitch count is 70w x 70h If you stitch it on 18 count aida, the dimensions will be approximately 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) wide by 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) high.  It uses 3 colors, all in DMC: Blanc, 996, 801 Link to the free PDF is here  Leave a comment below with your progress pics and any color changes you make!  Happy Stitching!

Friday Update: Halloween Moon Edition

Halloween Stitching Time!  For the most part, Cross Stitch people fall into two camps: seasonal stitchers, and non-seasonal stitchers. After pondering this question for a bit, I've decided that I'm firmly in the seasonal stitcher camp.  Bearing that in mind, you can imagine how excited I am about my Halloween wip 👻🎃 It's been awhile since you've seen this one, so allow me to re-introduce you to Trick or Treat Moon   Stunning. Found it in this magazine, Cross Stitch & Needlework, October 1996: This issue has an absolute ton of amazing Halloween and Fall charts. If Halloween stitching is something you like, then this magazine is a must have.  I think I started this one two years ago. Maybe last year... Anyway, here's my progress so far: That checkerboard border is so much fun. It stitches up really fast. Zooming in on that purple blob on the right: Yes, that is a cat. It may not look like much now, but just you wai...

Fashionably Late Wishes, Tons of Flowers, and Ravioli

Happy Tuesday! Although it’s a bit late, happy World Cross Stitch Day! Mind you, I didn’t know that World Cross Stitch Day even existed, but now that I do, I’m prepared for next year. Maybe I’ll make a chart in commemoration of the day… maybe. But that’s all the way in the future, and a whole year from now. Stay tuned! Click here to continue reading