Skip to main content

A Visitor, Victorian Emojis, and Festive Music

Happy Wednesday!

It was an interesting week here at the Castle. A new visitor flew in: 

Doesn't he look dashing? Judging from his outfit, he must have flown in from some frosty climate. He hasn't told me his name yet, instead he's taken up residence on the fireplace mantle.

Cross Stitch Corner

Usually I stitch in the morning, but last night I got my stitching done at night. Does that mean I'm a member of the nighttime stitcher club? (Does such a club even exist?) It was nice to lounge on my sofa, fire up a podcast or two, and make progress on Nikolai.

I glanced at last week's WIP update picture- which you can see here.

Here's this weeks progress: 

Now, I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised at the progress I've made! I'm nearly finished with this column! The splash of orange on his coat was great to stitch, and it was thrilling to reach the horse's nose. Nikolai might look a bit out of focus right now, but I'm convinced that backstitch will make him, and especially his face, really jump out of the fabric. But I'm probably not going to backstitch as I go, instead I'll do all the backstitch once all of the cross stitch is completed. Stay tuned for that, dear reader, because that won't be for a good long while.

Odds & Ends

I never thought of it before, but they sort of were the emojis of their day!



Lastly, have some music to get you into the Christmas spirit. I decorated the Castle Christmas tree with this playing on the background:

Happy stitching! 

Want to get my posts delivered to your email? Signup to my free newsletter here 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Update: Halloween Moon Edition

Halloween Stitching Time!  For the most part, Cross Stitch people fall into two camps: seasonal stitchers, and non-seasonal stitchers. After pondering this question for a bit, I've decided that I'm firmly in the seasonal stitcher camp.  Bearing that in mind, you can imagine how excited I am about my Halloween wip 👻🎃 It's been awhile since you've seen this one, so allow me to re-introduce you to Trick or Treat Moon   Stunning. Found it in this magazine, Cross Stitch & Needlework, October 1996: This issue has an absolute ton of amazing Halloween and Fall charts. If Halloween stitching is something you like, then this magazine is a must have.  I think I started this one two years ago. Maybe last year... Anyway, here's my progress so far: That checkerboard border is so much fun. It stitches up really fast. Zooming in on that purple blob on the right: Yes, that is a cat. It may not look like much now, but just you wai...

Quilt Block Sampler

 It's been a while since I posted a free cross stitch chart, so here you go: Isn't it pretty? I designed this one a while ago, but never got around to posting it. I've noticed a lot of quilters have been getting in to cross stitch lately. Welcome to the cross stitch world! Maybe this chart will be stitched by quilters who like cross stitch, and cross stitchers who like quilting.  Some details about this chart: stitch count is 70w x 70h If you stitch it on 18 count aida, the dimensions will be approximately 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) wide by 3-3/4 inches (9.9cm) high.  It uses 3 colors, all in DMC: Blanc, 996, 801 Link to the free PDF is here  Leave a comment below with your progress pics and any color changes you make!  Happy Stitching!

Secret Doors, a New Chart, and a Tree

  Photo by  Stefan Steinbauer  on  Unsplash Do you know what I've always wanted? A secret door. And not just any secret door, but a secret door that looks like a bookcase. How cool would it be to wander through your house, and make a detour to your secret reading nook, that's nestled behind your secret door? I've heard that they sell them at places like Lowe's, so who knows, maybe one day I'll get one. It would be the perfect addition to the castle! While I don't have a secret door (sigh!) I do have a new listing in my Etsy shop. Behold! Here's a smaller sized, Irish inspired cross stitch monogram sampler. Motifs included throughout the design are classic Irish themes such as a shamrock, a harp, flowers associated with St. Brigid, Celtic knots, and Celtic bands. Perfect as desk or home decor to display your Irish pride. Great present for Irish friends or loved ones. In the pictured model above, the initials "A.Q." have been stitched. In the chart t...